Wednesday, December 31, 2008

a tale of arts and crafts furniture...

I've been trying to determine what style of furniture I like lately.

I had a short love affair with Danish Modern style, and as much as I do adore it, it's cold and also very expensive to execute properly. I'll save that style for my NY loft someday.

I have fallen in love with the Arts and Crafts furniture lately sometimes (although different) also referred to as The Mission style. I love clean lines, organic elements, and timeless styling. I think the style best fits my personality.

The most popular colors used in this decorating scheme include very natural colors (such as beautiful muted greens) and neutral backgrounds. I love the dark wood, and I've always loved the time period. Here are some pictures.

This is a Morris chair named for the philosopher. It's very iconic for the style...
Wood everywhere....
Tiffany lamps are also very traditional for the style...

Here's an awful picture of a typical Arts and Crafts style dining room...

So be honest what do you think?

4 comments:

The Labontes said...

i absolutely LOVE arts and crafts. My in-laws have a house full of it...come by for a wine tasting sometime and take a look...A lot was custom made and they have some beautiful hand-made lamps and chandeliers. good pick!

Meribeth said...

I love arts & crafts too!! You wouldn't know it to look at my house (more hand-me-down-eclectic), but one of my favorite finds is a lamp that is on my computer desk....you would not believe where I found it!

Andrea said...

My mom and dad's house is all mission style. My mom Loves it! I'm not sure what my style is...I'll have to look into it.

Liz said...

very Frank Lloyd Wright. are you in the market for a nice Prairie style house?