Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Don't forget to buy a subway map, and other lessons I learned in New York (almost two months later.)

Even though we returned from our trip on January 3rd, I though I would take this time to share the top 10 lessons I learned on our trip to New York.

10. Sleep before travel. I'm an idiot. I thought it would be OK to have 4 hours of sleep before embarking on one of the busiest trips of my life! As a result B and I were so tired that we ended up eating pizza in my room on our first night in New York.
9. Pigeons are terrifying! They are ridiculous, you give them a bite of your cupcake and they attack! This is me running away scared.
8. It is perfectly OK to steal culinary advice from Sex and the City. Yes I'm a follower. I heard about the Magnolia Bakery from Sex and the City (a show which I don't agree with, but admit I'm a fan.) They were seriously the best cupcakes I've ever eaten! I tried to recreate them at home, not a good idea. Here are the originals, aren't they beautiful?

7. It is perfectly OK to plan a trip based solely on food. We ate some of the best food in the world, and planned the trip around where we would eat. The massive amounts of walking kept me from gaining 800 pounds! We discovered Caffe Reggio, so good!

6. jetBlue is a great airline, and I highly recommend them, just saying.

5. Caitlyn loses any bit of a southern accent when in NY. I guess I just don't want to sound like a tourist.

4. One can have a fun and exciting trip to New York without visiting a single tourist trap! (As long as you don't consider the Met a tourist trap.) Even though this was Brandon's first trip to NY, he didn't want to go see the Statue of Liberty with the other 10 million tourists (another reason why he's great!)




3. I love museums. We spent an entire morning at the Met (the metropolitan museum of art)... We had so much fun!

2. Although Getting lost with your boyfriend can be fun, buy a map. In my effort to avoid the dreaded "tourist" look I said, "oh we don't need a map." Bad bad bad idea! I guess if we can survive getting terribly lost in New York City, and oh did we get lost, we can survive anything!

1. New York is the best city in the world.... and I will live there some day.

2 comments:

Laurin said...

I can totally see you living in New York! We need to do lunch soon...wish it could be in NY, but around Poplar will have to do :).

Susan Cushman said...

Hey I completely forgot you guys went to New York... we didn't talk about it at dinner club Monday night:-( I love New York... let's share favorite stories soon.