Thursday, February 21, 2008

ah... sweet love, and food!

Well, Valentine's day happened... and it was a wonderful second heart day with Brandon. We had dinner at Napa Cafe', it was a very nice restaurant. He gave me the most awesome set of three paintings. Pictures don't do them justice, so you'll just have to come over to see them. It was such a cool and thoughtful gift, once again he's great! (Yes, I'm gushing.)

Food is a hobby of mine. I love to eat and cook. I actually went to the gym tonight and listened to Bon Appetit's podcast while I worked out. (I'm absolutely pathetic.) Ive been trying to eat a bit healthier lately (sort of a mid February resolution) so I've gotten creative in the kitchen. Here's a new recipe I made up Tuesday night, it really isn't too super inventive, but I liked it. (And it was super low in calories and high in protein, which I really need since I'm a vegetarian.)

Black Bean and Corn Soup (the name is really a work in progress.)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 medium onion (diced)
  • 1 small bell pepper (diced)
  • 2 cans black beans
  • 1 can whole kernel corn
  • 1 can Rotel tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • lime wedges, sour cream, shredded cheese, all for garnish

Saute the garlic, onions, and pepper in a soup pot (one with a lid) for approximately 5 minutes, or until slightly browned. Add the beans, corn, and Rotel (do not drain the liquid, you may want to rinse the corn etc. but replace the liquid with water.) You may want to add up to one extra can of water if soup looks too dry. (Vegetable stock could be an alternative to water, I just didn't have any, adjust the salt accordingly.) Bring these ingredients to a boil, stirring CONSTANTLY for 4-5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer. Add the cumin, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. I mashed up some of the beans with the spoon, it makes the soup even heartier. Garnish the soup with lime wedges (they add a great flavor without ANY calories) sour cream or cheese. I also thought some tortilla chips would be a nice touch, although this soup doesn't need anything extra!

This is super healthy. I estimated approximately 185 calories per cup of soup, sans the garnishes. Brandon liked it, and so did I. Let me know if you try it.

No comments: