Sunday, March 30, 2008

watch your back girl scouts!

If you don't know much about Orthodox fasting, click here, it is an article by Father Seraphim Rose that explains the fast.

That said, it's still Lent. This fact makes eating a small challenge. Saturday night we had dinner with our friends Chase and Gigi. I promised I would make a side item and dessert, and since it was Saturday we brought wine. I made roasted zucchini, onions, and asparagus with Italian parsley for my side dish. Gigi made a delicious vegan "alfreda sauce" (if you make this one, add some extra soy milk for creaminess) and tofu ricotta stuffed shells! It was an amazing meal! I also made the vegan cheesecake mentioned in the previous post. It was a pretty good recipe, it called for lactaid milk, and so I just substituted my friend Silk Vanilla Soy Milk, it turned out like a silky custard pie. Everyone else really liked it. I also made mint cookies (Recipe to follow.) We had such a great time... Thanks guys!

My mom is the queen of cake mix baking. Her most popular cookies are made combining one cake mix, 2 eggs, and 1 stick of butter (plus a small bit of water to make desired consistency.) Bake the cookies at 350 for 12-15 minutes.

I decided to make a substitute version of these decadent little cookies. I made a puree of tofu and vegetable oil and it proved to be a very nice egg substitute! I will definitely use it again. I took these to work on Saturday and got the Starbucks crew vote of approval, I guess they were pretty decent. I just need a name for these beauties! Please post your suggestions!

??? Cookies:
1 box devil's food cake mix
1/3 package of tofu, drained (this is approximately 1/2 Cup)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 stick of margarine (melted)
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 Tablespoons Water
3 Teaspoons peppermint extract

Directions: Puree the tofu and oil. Combine cake mix, tofu mixture, water, mint extract and melted margarine. Then add chocolate chips. Form the cookies into small ball shapes. (This is a pretty sticky dough.) Place onto cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool on wire rack.

You want to know the best part of vegan baking? Being able to lick the bowl without fear (not that it ever stopped me before.)
Happy Baking! Don't forget... I need a name for these things!

1 comment:

Susan Cushman said...

How 'bout "Minty Baby Cakes" or "Baby Cocoa Cakes"?